The Cowboy Marching Band is going to Memphis! Put on those blue suede shoes, CMB! Please continue to check this page for updates periodically until our trip. Please see the note at the bottom of this page regarding required bowl participation.
- Liberty Bowl Itinerary – Updated on Dec. 27th (be sure to “refresh” your browser after loading the itinerary to get the latest version). The itinerary will be updated periodically with more information as it becomes available.
- Saturday, December 29th – buses will load at 6:30 am and depart at 7:00 am. We will send 5 buses from Stillwater to Memphis, and 2 buses from Dallas to Memphis. Both sets of buses will load at the same time (6:30 am) and go DIRECTLY to Memphis, stopping only for lunch (it is about a 7-hour drive from both STW & DFW to Memphis). We will NOT be doing additional pickups / drop-offs in any locations other than Stillwater, Dallas, and our lunch stop. Our lunch stop will be in Little Rock, Arkansas. Similarly, 5 buses will return to Stillwater on January 1st after the bowl game, and 2 will return to the DFW area.
- Travel Information Form – ALL MEMBERS & BOWL SUBS MUST COMPLETE by Wednesday, December 12th at NOON. It is essential that EVERYONE completes this form ON TIME and ACCURATELY since we are departing simultaneously from two different cities and states. We will work out bus list details in the office and update everyone after December 12th. Bus 6-7 will be all DFW travelers for the trip to Memphis, but we will change back to our “usual” bus lists (the one you signed up for earlier this season) after we arrive.
- Keep a copy of the itinerary on you at all times, and read ahead before every departure to make sure you have all clothing, uniforms, spending money, etc. that you may need.
- Remember to BE EARLY for every event. Due to the complexity of our schedule, we will not wait for anyone at any point during our trip. Set alarms, schedule wake up calls, and ensure that your roommates and friends wake up every morning while at the hotel in Memphis. NO EXCUSES FOR TARDINESS!!!!
The Guest House at Graceland
3600 Elvis Presley Blvd
Memphis, TN 38120
- Our banquet will be abbreviated this year (less talking) and rolled into our New Year’s Eve party at the Main Event. We will also play the banquet video as usual on all of the televisions in the Main Event. Your attire is up to you. You may want to dress casually if you plan on playing laser tag or other similar activities. If you prefer to dress up for the banquet and New Year’s Eve, you may do that also. There will be a ton of activities available, including dancing, billiards, bowling, laser tag, gravity ropes, shuffle boards, and more. Everything is FREE, including food and all activities. Due to the generous donations from two different families, renting out the facility is completely free to you and will not reduce the amount of per diem we receive. If you are 21 years of age or older, you may also purchase alcohol from the bar at your own expense. FYI – we chose not to have a separate banquet on the previous evening, because the hotel was charging an insane amount of money (double our normal banquet cost). That would have resulted in much less per diem for you on this trip, so we opted to combine the two events.
- Memphis has some cool places, such as Beale Street. We are staying in a nice hotel. However, it is NOT a safe town in many places, and our hotel is not in a great part of town. It is essential that you NEVER GO ANYWHERE ALONE outside of the hotel. Always travel together with other people. We will only take you to safe locations on the bus, but if you wander on your own, bad things can happen. At this bowl game in Memphis last year, the Iowa State band had a student get mugged when they took an Uber from the hotel to a restaurant by themselves.
- We are taking one truck. All percussion equipment, tubas, baritones, trombones, mellophones, tenor saxes, and ladders go on the truck.
- Every person is responsible for loading their own instrument on the bus or truck. If you are not departing with us from Stillwater and your instrument is in the dungeon, please contact someone in your section to make sure your instrument is loaded on Dec. 28th, or bring it to Memphis yourself. DO NOT ASSUME THAT SOMEONE ELSE IS PACKING YOUR INSTRUMENT UNLESS YOU ASK THEM TO!!!
- UNIFORMS: Remember to pack your white coats, orange bibbers, white marching shoes and socks, white gloves, cowboy hats, CMB baseball caps, and rain coats. Depending on the weather forecast as the trip nears, you may want to bring beanies and layers to wear with your uniform, as well as warm clothes to wear in Memphis during our rehearsals and free time.
- Black Nike CMB T-shirts
- Black Nike CMB Polos
- Orange Liberty Bowl Hoodies (you will receive these once we arrive in Memphis)
- Extra T-shirts, shorts, and possibly layers to wear underneath uniform since we will wear full uniform several times
- Comfortable rehearsal clothes, INCLUDING TENNIS SHOES (NO SANDALS AT REHEARSAL)
- Nice clothes to wear to the banquet, and casual clothes to wear during free time
- Layers to wear depending on the weather during the trip
- Swimsuits (if using hotel pool / hot tub)
- Flip Folders with Music (all stands tunes, plus The Greatest Showman music)
- Other packing suggestions are located on page 4 of the itinerary.
Please be sure to check out a uniform on Wed, Dec. 12th between 5:30-6:30 pm. If this time won’t work for you, then please contact Chelsea Zuniga or Colter Comstock ASAP to set up an alternate time. If you need an OSU instrument, please email Andrew Raven ASAP. Please note that we use the Remind app to communicate timely information to our members – be sure you install the app or subscribe to notifications using the instructions on the previous link.
As a reminder, bowl travel is REQUIRED for all residents of Oklahoma and surrounding states (Texas, Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, and New Mexico). It is also REQUIRED for ANYONE on an out-of-state tuition waiver (it’s written into your agreement). The only people exempt are those who are both from a state other than one previously listed, AND not on an out-of-state waiver. Failure to participate in the bowl without an excuse approved by Dr. Henderson may result in loss of waiver, loss of scholarship, and/or loss of CMB membership privileges for future seasons at the discretion of Dr. Henderson, Dr. Missal, and Dr. Austin. The following is not an acceptable excuse: “My parents planned a trip during that time.” That might work if you were 15 years old and a high school student. However, you are ADULTS, and this information is published in advance on our calendar / newsletter that is sent out in June.
It’s going to be a great trip! Go Pokes!!!
Our 2018 Leadership Retreat will take place at Camp Egan in Tahlequah, OK. All leadership team members are required to attend, and we will start at 10:30 am on Monday, August 6th and finish up by about 1:00 pm on Wednesday, August 8th.
The following documents will help you better prepare for these important three days:
The following meals will be provided for you while at camp: lunch and dinner on Tuesday, breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Wednesday, and breakfast and lunch on Thursday. You are encouraged to bring any other snacks you may want between meals or in the evenings as well.
Please work together to carpool from your respective areas (Stillwater, Tulsa, OKC, Texas, etc.). We will be driving the large OSU van, which seats about 12 people, as well. If you would like to ride in the van, please email Andrew Raven. The van will leave Stillwater from the Seretean Center at 7:30 am on Monday morning.
If you want to check out some info about the camp yourself, including driving directions, more information about the facilities, and rec-time activity options, visit: https://okcamps.org/egan/
FYI – the director of Camp Egan, Josh Pulver, is a former CMB member and a former Pistol Pete!
In addition to the team building aspect of the weekend, one of our primary goals is to unify our own marching and teaching methods so that we are as efficient as possible during band week and throughout the season. I promise you that you will have a very positive experience throughout the camp, and that we will leave this retreat as a unified leadership team!
Andrew Raven will be in charge of the instrument inventory this year. If you need an instrument for leadership camp, please either come by the band office on Friday, August 3rd from 10am-2 pm, or email Andrew to set something up. If you aren’t coming to Stillwater prior to arriving at Camp Egan, we (or another member of your section) can bring an instrument for you.
Since this is an official OSU-sponsored event, and Camp Egan is also affiliated with the Methodist church, there is ABSOLUTELY NO ALCOHOL allowed on the camp grounds. This should go without saying, but I just wanted to make it explicitly clear. We must respect the policies of our university, as well as those of Camp Egan.
All leaders in each section have the title of Section Leader. Those leaders who have an asterisk (*) next to their name will be in charge of running music rehearsals for their respective sections. EVERYONE’s title is Section Leader, and no one Section Leader outranks any other Section Leader, regardless of whether they run music sectionals or not. A reminder that the leadership retreat from August 6-8, 2018 at Camp Egan in Tahlequah, OK, is required for all members of the leadership team.
Thank you to everyone who auditioned for the 2018 edition of the Cowboy Marching Band Color Guard! Congratulations to the following students who were selected for membership for the 2018 season.
2018 CMB Color Guard:
Rebekah Routh – Guard Captain
Emma Faye Sylvester
Reba (Mackenzie) Warren
Audrey Zinn – Guard Captain
The final OSU Women’s Tennis Match of the season will take place on Sunday, April 15th at 1:00 pm at the Michael and Anne Greenwood Tennis Center. Please see below for more important information:
Call Time will be 12:45 PM in the parking lot east of the tennis center. We will warm-up together, play through the tunes that we will use for this game (see below), and then enter the tennis center together. Food will be provided for FREE at the match! There will be hot dogs before the match and BBQ after the match. The whole event should wrap up around 3:30 pm.
Attire will be Black Nike Polos (Nike T’s are OK if you are missing polos), Jeans, CMB Baseball Caps. You may want to bring your Bowl Hoodie if it ends up being cool this weekend (high Sunday is currently 55 degrees).
Music that we will play will include the National Anthem, Trilogy, Oklahoma, Alma Mater, and maybe Rock ‘n Roll. If you need music to any of that, please print it from the website before you come.
Please let us know that you are coming by completing this form.
The 2018 OSU Spring Football Game will take place on Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 1:00 pm. Please see below for more important information:
Call Time will be 11:45 AM just outside the Sherman Smith Indoor Practice Facility. This is a change from our original plan. We will play for the “Walk” as the team moves from the indoor to the stadium. Then, athletics is feeding us FREE PIZZA in the stadium before the game!
Attire will be Black Nike Polos (Nike T’s are OK if you are missing polos), Orange Nike shorts, CMB Baseball Caps. WEAR SUNSCREEN!
Music that we will play will include the National Anthem, Trilogy, Oklahoma, Rock ‘n Roll, Alma Mater, Neck, Verdi, Dies Irae, Light ’em Up (short & long versions), Look Down, Uptown Funk. Please bring your flip folders with the music if you still have them. We will have a couple extra copies of each part as well.
Please let us know that you are coming by completing this form.
We will be hosting the OSSAA State Solo & Ensemble Contest April 17-19, 2018 in the Student Union and Bennett Chapel. We rely heavily on our wonderful student volunteers to help make this event a success!
Leadership auditions and interviews for the 2018-2019 season will take place the week of April 23-26, 2018. Any CMB member interested in applying for a leadership position should submit an application (see below) no later than Friday, April 20th at 5:00 pm.
The OSU Color Guard is open to all university students by audition only. You must be accepted to Oklahoma State University in order to audition. You may email the guard instructor, Mallory Vinzant, for further information. If you are planning on auditioning, please let us know by completing this form.
Dates: Saturday, April 7th, and Saturday, April 14th, 2018. Participants only need to attend ONE of these two dates.
Exception: those Veterans auditioning for a position on the CMB Leadership Team should plan on attending both dates if at all possible. Leadership applicants should write a 30-second routine to perform at 8:30 am on April 7th.
Location: Band Room (Room 118) in the Seretean Center for the Performing Arts on the OSU Campus
8:30 am: Leadership Tryouts (must be a returning / veteran guard member to audition, and must complete a Leadership Team Application no later than Friday, March 30th (online application coming soon).
9:00– 10:00 am: Registration
10:00 – 12:00 pm: Fundamentals
12:00 – 1:00 pm: Lunch (on own)
1:00 – 4:00 pm: Learn audition routine
4:00 – 5:00 pm: Auditions
Flags will be available, but please bring your own equipment if possible. Please wear comfortable athletic clothes, tennis shoes, and sunscreen.
Pop toss (aka single) and horizontal toss
Drop spins, BOLOs, extensions, carves, and pull hits
Basic dance such as jazz runs, sauté/attitude, passé, and plié
Attire: Athletic clothing & sunscreen!