CMB Leadership Retreat – August 7-9, 2017
Our 2017 Leadership Retreat will take place at Camp Egan in Tahlequah, OK. All leadership team members are required to attend, and we will start at 10:30 am on Monday, August 7th.
The following documents will help you better prepare for these important three days:
- CMB Leadership Manual – PLEASE take some time to read through this BEFORE Monday. It contains some important information regarding teaching best practices, as well as spelling out many of our marching fundamentals in great detail. If you read this ahead of time, you will be more prepared for Leadership Retreat, as well as Band Week!
- Camp Egan Rooming List 2017 – We have reserved the Holliman Lodge, which has more “hotel-like” rooms that sleep 4 to a room (as opposed to the cabins with bunk beds that are also available). Each room includes two twin beds and one double bed, they are air conditioned, include linens for the bed, and have individual bathrooms for each room. The lodge also includes a couple of large communal gathering areas, as well as a small kitchen area and a refrigerator.
- TENTATIVE Leadership Retreat Itinerary – please note that this may change before Monday due to scheduling with a guest and the camp, but this is the basic outline of what we will be doing to help you plan. When you arrive, please do NOT go into Holliman Lodge yet. We will congregate either outside the Lodge, or at the Tabernacle prior to lunch (they will still be cleaning the lodge, changing the sheets, etc., from another group that is leaving on Monday as we are arriving).
The following meals will be provided for you while at camp: lunch and dinner on Tuesday, breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Wednesday, and breakfast and lunch on Thursday. You are encouraged to bring any other snacks you may want between meals or in the evenings as well.
Please work together to carpool from your respective areas (Stillwater, Tulsa, OKC, Texas, etc.). We will be driving the large OSU van, which seats about 12 people, as well. If you would like to ride in the van, please email Andrew Raven. The van will leave Stillwater from the Seretean Center at 7:30 am on Monday morning.
If you want to check out some info about the camp yourself, including driving directions, more information about the facilities, and rec-time activity options, visit: http://www.okumcministries.org/camps/egan.html
FYI – the director of Camp Egan, Josh Pulver, is a former CMB member and a former Pistol Pete!
In addition to the team building aspect of the weekend, one of our primary goals is to unify our own marching and teaching methods so that we are as efficient as possible during band week and throughout the season. I promise you that you will have a very positive experience throughout the camp, and that we will leave this retreat as a unified leadership team!
Andrew Raven will be in charge of the instrument inventory this year. If you need an instrument for leadership camp, please either come by the band office on Friday, August 4th from 10am-2 pm, or email Andrew to set something up. If you aren’t coming to Stillwater prior to arriving at Camp Egan, we (or another member of your section) can bring an instrument for you.
Since this is an official OSU-sponsored event, and Camp Egan is also affiliated with the Methodist church, there is ABSOLUTELY NO ALCOHOL allowed on the camp grounds. This should go without saying, but I just wanted to make it explicitly clear. We must respect the policies of our university, as well as those of Camp Egan.
- Towel, Soap, Shampoo, and other toiletries
- Flip-folder (music will be distributed when we arrive)
- Bug Spray
- Hats / Sunglasses
- Water Jug
- Tennis Shoes
- Swim suits (if you want to swim in the swimming pool or the lake)
- Snacks to eat during breaks and at night in the lodge
- Movies for RecTime (there are 2 projectors available for us to watch movies; they require a VGA connection, so movies would have to play on a laptop)
- Fishing Pole for RecTime (optional)
- Music Stand for playing rehearsal on Friday (not required, but will make it easier)
- Basketball, Volleyball, Football, Frisbee for Rec Time