The Cowboy Marching Band is excited to announce that auditions for the position of Feature Twirler for the 2018 edition of the Cowboy Marching Band will take place in the Spring of 2018. The specific timeline for the application process is highlighted below. All finalists must be accepted or enrolled students at Oklahoma State University by the date of the live audition (April 14).
- Friday, March 9th – APPLICATION DEADLINE (see below for more details)
- Friday, March 16th – *Invitations to participate in the live audition will be sent by the OSU Band Staff, and finalists will be provided audition music for the first two (of three) routines to be performed at the audition
- Friday, March 30 – Third and final piece of audition-routine music will be made available to finalists (two weeks prior to the audition)
- Saturday, April 14 – *Feature Twirler Auditions & Interviews NOTE: Auditions with finalists will be CLOSED to the public. Only the Feature Twirler finalists and the audition committee will be present.
*Note: The results of every stage of the audition process will be FINAL. The directors and audition committee work hard to find the performer who is the right fit for the OSU Cowboy Marching Band. Twirling applicants who apply for the position of Feature Twirler agree to accept the results of the audition process without disputing them. Submission of application materials constitutes acceptance of the audition process and its outcome.
Candidates interested in auditioning for the position of feature twirler at OSU should submit the following materials to the OSU band office by Friday, March 9th. The Cowboy Marching Band Directors will then evaluate all materials and select finalists to invite to the live audition. Materials should include:
- Résumé: The résumé should highlight the candidate’s performance history and accomplishments, as well as other relevant academic achievements and/or community involvement.
- Video: The application video may be an online link (preferred), flash drive, or DVD format. The video submission should include TWO live performances that best highlight the candidate’s twirling performance abilities.
- Letters of Reference: Each candidate should submit two to three letters of reference addressing their personal character, integrity, work ethic, performance level, and ability to work with others.
APPLICATION MATERIALS may be shipped, mailed, or emailed to:
OSU Cowboy Marching Band
ATTN: Dr. Douglas Henderson
220 Seretean Center
Stillwater, OK 74078
Those candidates selected to participate in the live audition on April 14th, 2018, will choreograph their own audition routines to three pieces provided to them by the OSU band staff prior to the audition. AUDITIONS WITH FINALISTS WILL BE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC. Only the finalists and the audition committee will be present.
The first two tunes will be provided on March 16th when finalists are notified, and the final piece will be provided no later than Friday, March 30th (two weeks prior to the audition). This is a “real world” performance scenario in which the twirler must choreograph her own routine as quickly as the rest of the band learns a new halftime show.
- The First Routine should utilize ONLY one-baton tricks. MUSIC: “Ride ’em, Cowboys” and “OSU Chant”
- The Second Routine should utilize two-baton tricks only. MUSIC: “Oklahoma”
- The Third Routine should include 1, 2, and 3 batons with the option of 4 but not required. MUSIC: Bruno Mars: “Treasure” & “Runaway Baby”
- NOTE: Since fire batons are NOT allowed on the FieldTurf in Boone Pickens Stadium, candidates may NOT include fire batons in the audition process.
- Finalists will be adjudicated by directors and staff members of the Cowboy Marching Band, as well as one or two outside experts. Performances will be judged on creativity, technique, poise, execution, confidence, and showmanship.
- Following all audition performances, each candidate will have a brief interview with the audition committee. This interview will be an opportunity for the candidates to discuss their role as a member in the band program, work ethic, and other topics that the directors may deem relevant.
- The Directors reserve the right to decline naming a feature twirler when none meet acceptable standards based upon the live audition and interview.
- Reminder: The results of every stage of the audition process will be FINAL. The directors and audition committee work hard to find the performer who is the right fit for the OSU Cowboy Marching Band. Twirling applicants who apply for the position of Feature Twirler agree to accept the results of the audition process without disputing them. Submission of application materials constitutes acceptance of the audition process and its outcome.
- The new Feature Twirler for the Cowboy Marching Band will be announced the week following the live auditions.